The Yiddish bookmarklet contains a selection of Yiddish online dictionaries, a virtual Hebrew keyboard and a transliteration function for Yiddish web sites.
By clicking the bookmarklets from your bookmarks toolbar, a dictionary menu will appear on your browser screen. Any word you enter in this menu (or any word you have selected from a web site before) can be looked up in one or more online dictionaries which are listed below the input field. You can also look up a specific word on a web site by selecting it with the cursor and then running the bookmarklet bookmarklet afterwards by clicking on it.
YI dicts Yiddish dictionaries, keyboard input and transliteration
It's easiest to understand the concept of the bookmarklet by simply clicking this DEMO.
- The bookmarklet virtually work with any browser on almost any web site except on Facebook
- By clicking on the icon next to the input field a virtual keyboard will appear which eases typing Cyrillic or other special characters
- This bookmarklet transliterates Yiddish web pages from Hebrew to Latin script according to the YIVO-rules
- Hebrew script often ignores vowels, so these must be added on by the reader of the transliterated Yiddish text
- Script represented with images will not be transliterated. Please also note that Hebrew numerals (see Geresh/Gershayim) will not be transliterated as numbers, but as letters
- The transliteration may take a couple of seconds. Reload the page in order to cancel the transliteration
Read more about what bookmarklets are.
More general information about functions and usage of the bookmarklet can be found under the article "dictionary bookmarklets".
Here the Link to the simple transliteration bookmarklet for Yiddish without dictionary or keyboard function. There you can find more information on the transliteration function of the dictionary bookmarklet.
The bookmarklets may be downloaded, edited and used in other places e.g. on your own server.